Thursday, January 13, 2011

"ice-cream"

Day nine


Today was the day. My day. My day to go to therapy. In my family is it called "ice-cream", because when my grandma would take my aunts/uncles to therapy she called it going out for ice-cream and then they would get actual ice-cream after. So when I went to therapy for the first time, I was told we were going for ice-cream.

I was so nervous, as usual. I told myself, I am so nervous, but hey we are going to fix that. While I was driving there, a song came on(I don't remember the name of it) a man sang everything is going to be alright, everything is going to be just fine. And I sang along not even thinking of the words. Then realized, what a good song to come on when I need to hear it.

I got there, found where I needed to be and was greeted oh so nicely by older lady. She gave me paperwork and said just come on in. So I sat down on the couch and started filling out my paperwork. It took me about ten mins to fill it out. When I finished she said, wow, you are fast! Most people don't finish.

She started off by asking, why are you here, or what do you want out of therapy. I told her I have depression and anxiety. She asked questions, I answered. Feeling so comfortable. She was so nice. She told me about her youngest daughter, how she has depression and she sounded a lot like me. I felt so happy that I had a therapist that COULD relate. She told me about how her daughter would sleep ALL the time, I told her thats how I am. She said I know it wasn't on purpose. You just lose all of your energy.

We talked for about 45 mins. By the end of the session she told me to set two or three goals. My goals are 1-finish my diploma, 2-manage my depression/anxiety an 3- become a dog groomer. I am SO happy I went. She also gave me the numbers of a few doctors and told me to get some medication because meds and therapy go hand in hand. And I agree.

I left feeling GREAT! I am so excited! I can finally have a good life.

I haven't gone to school in a few days, I am going tomorrow though. I NEED to get it finished. I will feel SO much better about myself.

I am feeling good. We are doing really good. Just getting ready to move. I paid all of our bills today and we didn't need to borrow AnY money from my parents! I am thrilled! Even if we don't have any to spare. We did it all by ourselves! And we are doing so good on groceries, spending less and eating healthy! Woohoo!

I have such an awesome support system! Thank you all for being SO awesome!


-trying get this out

2 comments:

  1. That's so great shannon! good luck with your goals :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of the progress you guys are making. Proud of your efforts to make things work on your own. You're amazing to be able to see what you need and get help to make things better. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete